Prewar Gut Renovation on the Upper West Side: 219 W 81st St
This Prewar, 1 BR/1Bath design build and gut renovation was in almost original (over 90 years old) condition needing everything, from rewiring and an upgrade to 100 AMP’s to an up to code gas meter.
Type: Prewar Gut Renovation
Duration: 4 months
Rooms: 1 BR/1 Bath Apartment
Location: Upper West Side
Upper West Side Prewar Gut Renovation Highlights:
- Kitchen Renovations: Redesign of original kitchen
- Blue Star Appliances: gas range stove, refrigerator, drawer microwave, and sink
- Vented the cooktop above dropped ceiling
- Custom cladding for drain pipe
- Classic shaker white custom cabinet design
- Concrete Caesarstone countertop
- Tile floor
- Wide plank European White oak from PID flooring
- Wall hung Samsung Art TV
- Bathroom Renovations:
- Vented bathroom above the dropped ceiling
- Replaced the bathroom window with a transom
- Ceramic tile by Complete Tile
- Grey tear drop floor
- Duravit Happy D wall mount sink
- Toto Acquia wall hung toilet
- Custom storage for the hall opposite the bathroom
- Additional Remodel Features:
- Reclaimed wood floating shelves (living room)
- Counter seated area (living room)
- Interior furnishing pieces from EQ3
- Dimmable LED lighting
- Fire rated front door
- Through the wall air conditioning units with custom covers and integrated sill/tops
- Custom closets and storage in foyer and living room
The Full Story Behind this UWS Gut Renovation
This Prewar, 1 BR/1Bath design build and gut renovation was in almost original (over 90 years old) condition needing everything – complete rewiring and an upgrade to 100 AMPs, a new fire rated front door, new through the wall air conditioning units with custom covers and integrated sill/tops, a gut renovation and design of both the kitchen and bath since we were moving walls and closets and found a big drain pipe problem to disguise!!
Not to mention the gas pipes in the wall which required redesign of the original kitchen which BARELY worked to push the refrigerator forward since we could not move the wall with pipes, and still keep the basic layout including the Blue Star Gas Range, Dishwasher, drawer Microwave and sink.
Even though we didn’t touch the gas meter, we still had to bring the gas meter up to code upon final inspection which was a DOB curve ball and then months without gas until Con Ed can install the new meter.
I designed a custom cladding for the drain pipe in the kitchen based on the floor tile pattern for a decorative WOW!!
We vented the cooktop and bathroom above the dropped ceiling in the kitchen and bath and replaced the bathroom window with a transom above to accommodate that. We moved the breaker panel to a new location by the entrance door.
The bathroom renovation design was a contemporary classic with great ceramic tile by Complete Tile, the fun grey tear drop floor and a Duravit Happy D wall mount sink and Toto Acquia wall hung toilet.
The tiny apartment appears larger than it is by having the open design with the seated island. The reclaimed wood added rustic character to the wall facing the living room. I added the two reclaimed wood floating shelves above the counter seated area to tie in the reclaimed wood character.
We chose a classic shaker white custom cabinet design, added splashes of color and pattern and in the kitchen tile floor and complemented both with the sleek concrete Caesarstone countertop, which worked well with the new, wide plank European White oak from PID flooring.
We added more storage in the Foyer and Bedroom with new closets, and custom storage for the hall opposite the bathroom. The dimmable LED lighting and some interesting ceiling fixtures provided the perfect finishing touches to a Prewar Gem! Not to mention the wall hung Samsung Art TV easily viewed while cooking!!
We are finishing this with some great interior furnishing pieces from EQ3 – which take about 3 months lead time to deliver! We absolutely love this cozy little gem of a transformation!!
If you love this UWS renovation transformation as much as we do, you can book a renovation consultation to see what we can do for you!